Tuesday, June 21, 2011

20 Kilos

That's how much my bags are permitted to weigh. 20 Kilos. That's only 44 pounds. Thats... nothing. I am permitted to pack air. Two bags worth of air!!!

I am flying from Toronto to Athens with AirTransat, which is lovingly referred to by my father as the Incredible Flying Cattle Car. I believe its going to live up to its name. They are only letting me bring one carry on, and check one bag. Olympic Air, which is pretty much 1/100th of the size of the AirTransat plane, lets you have 2 carry-on bags! The bigger airline is restricting me. Well - technically I could upgrade to club class and take another carry on, for an additional fee of $1200. Ha.

So, now I am starting to get a tad concerned with how I am going to cram all my stuff into ONE checked back and ONE carry on. I mean, I'm gone for 6 weeks. And while I don't exactly need to be the height of fashion for the first 5 weeks (excavating in high heels, leather pants, and tube tops is frowned upon. Not like I wear those anyway), I would like to bring, you know, more than one pair of pants (or trousers for you folks across the pond). My field kit alone is going to take up some space, with steel toe hiker boots which weight half a ton, and all the bits of equipment; plus I have to squish clothes and the 20 gallons of sunscreen mum bought for me into my checked bag.

For my carry on, I need to squish a change of clothes, plus I need my laptop for school work and the course manuals and I was planning on buying food at the airport and hiding it in my bag since I am terrified of calamari. I figure I can ration granola bars in case of mandatory squid based meals. I am a very adventurous eater but squid just gives me the heebie-jeebies.

So what do I do?? Even with ninja-esque packing skills this is going to be tricky. Perhaps I should put the learning greek book down and pick up a game of tetris to prepare for the "big pack."

Mileage Remaining: 10,799
Days Remaining in Trip: 50

1 comment:

  1. Perhaps you can mail some stuff to yourself? Like the non-essentials? Are there any non essentials?

    You're going to be spending time in Paris, so you will need some fancy fancy. Maybe Fern can bring that stuff with him so you don't have to pack more than one nice outfit for your stay on the island?

    Tricky...but you're a genius so I'm sure you will figure it out :D

    ReplyDelete