Monday, August 1, 2011

The Plague


A pinch and a punch for the first of the month for all you fabulous people!

So the Greek plague has hit field school and hit us hard. There is a fabulous little 48-72 hour bug going through the camp that results in migraines and upset stomachs. It has hit the rest of the island too – the greek archaeologist who works with us was telling us how everyone is sick or has been sick. This doesn’t even strike me as an over-exaggeration as everyone on this island does really know everyone else!

A few of us, myself included, started feeling a little rough on Saturday night at dinner. I went home early and passed on all the Saturday night festivities which really stank, but I am glad I did since by the time I got home I felt like I got hit in the head with a baseball bat. I felt weak on Sunday, and woke up this morning feeling lousy again. Needless to say, by the time morning break rolled around (8:30) there were 6 of us out for the day, all sent home due to what I am affectionately calling the Greek plague. That’s a pretty good chunk of us – 6 of 21 (4 students + 2 supervisors) that are down and out. Ideally I will only be out for today but you never know. I feel better than Saturday night but my head is too sore to focus and it just isn’t fair to work on the little babies when you can’t do a good job.

I actually overheard part of the supervisor’s Monday morning meeting (down the 2 that went home sick, of course) and they are concerned about everyone being run down due to the long hours we work combined with the wicked heat. I am hoping they consider giving us a half day off this week, especially since we are WAY ahead of our quota of boxes completed for the year. I really think we all need some extra down time after such hard work. Its frustrating – part of me wants to just work work work (after all that is what I came here to do) but I know if I do that this bug just wont go away and Ill be sick-ish like I am now for the next week. What a bummer.

I am so mad I am going to miss swimming and evening walks for the next few days too – but Emily will not let me do anything if I don’t feel 100% - so it looks like I will be laying low for a little bit.
Hopefully the next post will be a bit more interesting, and a little less whiney.

1 comment:

  1. Aww, boo to being sick! Not a fun way to spend your time in Greece. Hopefully you're feeling better!

    Love the nicknames from the last post! Too funny. You have such a way with stories and words. Glad to hear that PhD applications are going well so far... it seems like you just start your Master's and then you have to start applying for PhDs! Crazy.

    Miss you! Enjoy your last week and a half there, hopefully you start feeling better so you can enjoy it! At the very least, you need to be in top shape for when Fern gets there for your Eurotrip!

    ReplyDelete