Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Happy birthday, Cheyenne!

Today is Tuesday, and I really don't have that much that is new to report (sorry!). I finished a new burial yesterday and am working on a new one. Its quite interesting - a very complete skeleton, but in a very poor state of preservation, so it is taking me a long long time to excavate.

Last night I went for a lovely walk with Emily after school as Gen was quite ill - she had a terrible migraine. We went for a hike all around town and up the mountain, and then went to a really neat cafe called Archipelago which is on the side of the cliff between Levadi and Chora. We had hot chocolate with baileys, and it was AMAZING! Best hot chocolate ever (and amazing company!).

Today is Cheyenne's birthday, (she is another girl here in field school) so we decided to surprise her with a little party in the port. We all have a few drinks and then headed back for dinner. Octopus balls are starting to grow on me - they might not be as gross as initially feared!! Then we had delicious pastries filled with custard for dessert....definitely no complaints here!

I must admit that while I love it here I am starting to feel a bit beat down and tired - I could really have done with two days off this weekend to catch up. All the early mornings paired with the ridiculous heat (its a record summer here, we haven't had a breeze in nearly a week, so over 45F daily) I am just exhausted, and a little bit homesick. Definitely missing the fam and Fern!

That's all for now - I am likely going to go for another walk to try to settle down for the evening (and here's hoping I can avoid the lure of that hot chocolate again!)

1 comment:

  1. Mmmmm, hot chocolate and Bailey's. Soooooo good. Now I want some, but I'm at work and can't really drink without getting fired. Boo.

    Also boo to the homesick... I totally get that, since when I was a kid I was the Queen of homesickness. Is the countdown on until the day that Fern gets there? I can't believe it's almost August, the summer will be over so soon!

    Oh, and as far as furniture, I'm looking more for common-room stuff right now, but if I end up needing any of that stuff I'll let you know! :)

    ReplyDelete