Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Some Favorite Places

Hello again! Nothing much to report, other than my latest excavation has ... two babies. Again. This burial is sequentially numbered from my last burial, and the last one was missing a head. And I found some spare cranial bones in this burial, so I think I may have located the other baby's missing noggin! This was discovered when I found 6 ear bones in the sieve (3 per side, but the stapes is incredibly difficult to find; so I located 4 Incus and 2 Malleus). The increase in number of babies from 1 to 2 was confirmed by the sphenoid bodies and petrous portions (bones in your head for you non-bone-heads). Very neat.

In other news, I have decided to post some more photos of my favorite places on the island. They are especially beautiful in the morning, which is why I like waking up extra early and walking the long way around.

Passing the series of family-owned ossuary-style burial buildings at sunrise en route to the lab

The windmills leading to the town square in Chora

The ruins of the old castle

1 comment:

  1. Overachiever. Haha. Leave it to you to find 2 babies twice, and more inner ear bones than all of last year. I found a few in my bioarch work, they're so tiny!!! So exciting.

    The pics are gorgeous!!! You're making me want to go to Greece. For serious.

    ReplyDelete