Friday, July 8, 2011

The Meaning of Life: Solved!

Today I am absolutely exhausted, mentally and physically! I nearly fell asleep in lecture in the lab twice today. I am sleeping well, but I am just wiped out from cramming my noggin full of all of the lab methodology, theory, and juvenile osteology plus hiking for 30 minutes twice a day and swimming.

On the plus side, today we discovered that a bakery is open at 3pm when school finishes for the day. I have never been in a greek bakery, or tried greek pastries, and oh-my-goodness... I am going to get one of everything before I leave (I think they will even out with all the walking I am doing.) There is a giant "chocolate pie" that looks delicious, hundreds of cookies, and a giant walnut cake. For my first foray into greek baking, I went with Emily & Gen's recommendation: Baklava.



Result?

I have found "The Meaning of Life" and its name is baklava. This stuff is wicked. It has to be, in part, the amazing honey. Astypalaia has the best honey I have ever tasted in my entire life. I will probably bring home several jars of honey and ration them over time, because it is unlike anything I have ever eaten before. But this pastry? I cannot say enough about it. Typing about it makes my mouth water. I'm probably going to go on a mission for more tomorrow and take some pictures of it before I inhale it because its so beautiful (ha!).

Anyway, that's all for now since I have to go study for my juvenile osteology and lab methods test. I promise I'll write something useful and more worthwhile than Ode to Baklava tomorrow as tomorrow is the last day for the week.

Hugs to all!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment